fbpx

Touch Sensor Issues.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    dandan
    Participant

I’ll update this thread regularly. There are many reasons a touch sensor can fail. I’ll try to address them all over time.

Several users have reported issues with their touch sensor not working correctly. The issue appears to be related to inconsistencies in the touch sensor probe length. When the probe retracts, it probes correctly, however the probe drops again before the bed has lowered sufficiently to clear the probe causing the probe to go into an error state, resulting in an incorrect gap between the bed and nozzle.

The solution to this is simple. Open the Repetier Host Software, connect to your printer, go to Tools > Firmware EEPROM Configuration and adjust the Z Homing Feedrate value from “8” to “10” and save the changes and close the eeprom configuration window. It never hurts to open the Firmware EEPROM configuration again to confirm the changes took effect. Turn your printer off and back on again to clear any errors with the probe and home your printer from the LCD menu. If the printer homes correctly, test again a few more times. If you’re still having issues, try changing the Z Homing Feedrate to 12, save EEPROM and close the EEPROM configuration window, turn your printer off and on again and re-test.

Please let me know if this works for you.

dandan
    Participant

I have a pretty good feeling this issue is the same as others reported from the past batch of sensors. What’s been happening is the touch pins aren’t dropping the monent a command to drop them is executed, this delay causes the pin to drop a second or so late. This causes the probe to drop onto a moving bed which results in an error. I’m wondering if your probe is entering an error sate. Does it start flashing at any time? If so, it’s likely a small adjustment to the firmware will completely rectify the issue.

To test, use the LCD and click home all. Does the probe start flashing at any time? If so, your issue is very easy to fix. Run the following command from repetier host. M340 P0 S500 . Does the probe drop instantly? Next run M340 P0 S1500 . Does the probe raise instantly? Likely your issue will be with the first command. Change the S500 part to S600… now does the probe drop instantly?

If M340 P0 S600 results in a instant drop, you’ll need to adjust the firmware to reflect this change. In configuration.h search for a line containing M340 P0 S500 and change that to M340 P0 S600 then upload the firmware.

If you’re not sure how to upload firmware with arduino IDE, let me know and I’ll run you through it step by step.

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

Changing the command to M340 P0 S600 seems to have fixed the BL touch issue but another has popped up. The printer can no longer move on the y axis.I can move the printer in z and x but y will not move. It’s acting like the motor cannot provide the torque to move the gantry. With the printer off the y axis moves easily by hand, there’s nothing blocking or adding resistance to that axis. X and Z can home properly but y cannot.

dandan
    Participant

Check for breaks in y motor wires or disconnected at extension. Also try swapping. The x driver for the y driver.

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

I checked continuity on the leads by cutting off the heat shrink on the cable terminals and it was good…the funny thing is all the axes started working again…magic?

Thanks!

dandan
    Participant

Possibly drivers shut down due to overheating? The fans running in the electronic enclosure I hope. You did check my post of setting stepper driver power ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Facebook Instagram YouTube