fbpx

rumba32 mks upgrade

Forums Hacks and Upgrades rumba32 mks upgrade

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

I’m upgrading my rumba to a rumba32 mks board.

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

never mind, I figured it out :? 🙄

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

never mind, I figured it out :? 🙄

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

I finally received the MKS Rumba32 board from China. [attachment=2]Rumba32.jpg[/attachment]There are a few things that need fixing. It came without an eeprom chip installed. [attachment=1]no_eeprom.jpg[/attachment] I installed one with advice from the board designer here. https://github.com/Aus3D/RUMBA32/issues/12[attachment=0]eeprom.jpg[/attachment]

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

I’m upgrading to tmc5160 drivers with the board. Unfortunately there is another problem, Marlin only supports SPI with the tmc drivers and there is a bug in the board design detailed here https://github.com/Aus3D/RUMBA32/issues/23, https://github.com/makerbase-mks/MKS-RUMBA32/wiki/About-RUMBA32-TMC-SPI-%22CONNECTION-ERROR%22-FAQ and here https://github.com/makerbase-mks/MKS-RUMBA32/issues/2. I’m trying a the mod I outlined in the last post in the last link. The tmc driver comes with several of the legs snipped off on the top of the driver.[attachment=2]stock_snipped.jpg[/attachment] I removed the snipped pin-6 [attachment=1]remove_pin.jpg[/attachment]and added a full length pin back in[attachment=0]add_pin.jpg[/attachment] and then jumpered pin-6 to pin-5. This accomplishes what the mods outlined in the links above but without making any permanent changes to either the drivers or the board so switching drivers won’t involve any soldering, just a jumper on the driver. I won’t be able to do any testing until next week to see if this actually works.

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

jumpered[attachment=0]jumper_pin.jpg[/attachment]

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

the mods did not work :( So I did this. I got 8 pin stackable sockets
    [attachment=2]sockets.jpg[/attachment]
    plugged the drivers into them
    [attachment=0]plugged_socket.jpg[/attachment]
    jumped the the pins under the drivers and plugged the drivers into the board
    [attachment=1]driverboard.jpg[/attachment]
    This enabled me to fix the board layout bug without any soldering and has the added benefit of moving the driver into the air stream of the fans…both the top and bottom of the drivers are being cooled now.

dandan
    Participant

Sorry I missed your post. For some reason I’m not getting notifications. Bloody expensive board you’re whacking in there. I’d be interested to see what your experience with it is. Having used a number of other 32 bit platforms, I’m particularly interest to see if you have any reliability issues, dead pins, USB connectivity and random firmware crashes.

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

It’s not that expensive, $28 US for the MKS Rumba32. It does have some problems and there’s not a lot of support for it…yet. I’ve had a bear of a time trying to get various firmwares to run. Repetier V2 got it running except the heater kept halting the firmware, never got it printing. Got it running MK4duo but the printer would halt about 15 layers into a print because of a heater fault. Marlin 2.0 would print but I couldn’t level the bed, G29 would lock the printer. The latest Marlin 2.0 bugfix is finally working. I just got it running today, so the tuning/testing starts tomorrow.

dandan
    Participant

Hmmm. Curious about your issues with MK4Duo. I found the firmware pretty good. Just dont like the crappy selection of available touch TFT displays. Got some Nexion thing which was a waste of my life.

Marlin 2 bugfix is the go. Been using ever since.

Super want to try out Repetier 2.

dandan
    Participant

By the way. Should have got a Bigtreetech GTR. SPI and UART drivers – plug and play.

Bloody good board. 6 drivers – has a daughter board which supports another 5 With that, you could easily add full motor bed leveling.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Facebook Instagram YouTube