fbpx

MultiMaterial 2/1 Printer Settings

Forums The Beast V1, V2 and Elevator 3D Printer Support MultiMaterial 2/1 Printer Settings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

I’m trying to get my head wrapped around how to set this up.

Is there any other code needed to get this extruder to work? I’ve got the extruders doing what the code tells them to do however when switching from one extruder to another the material is not being extruded from the nozzle for a part of the printed layer, if at all. Another issue is the filament from the 2nd extruder sometimes gets blocked in the hot end, like the end of the bowden tube isn’t lined up with the hole for the filament but this isn’t consistent, can change from layer to layer.

dandan
    Participant

If you haven’t already, download the simplify3D Multi Material profile from our website https://cultivate3d.com/firmware. I’ve just realized, the TC02 hotend has a shorter throat than the original TC-01 hotend so to fix your inconsistent tool changing, try making the tool change retraction distance 34mm instead of 41mm in the profile (ill update it when I return from holiday).

FYI this is pretty much all from memory as im on holiday at the moment and not near the office for another few days.

Start with a simple test cube and get your hotend printing 2 colours on the one object. IE one color for the perimeter, another for infill – this is all done with a single hotend profile from within simplify3D, just a matter of selecting the tool for the infill and another for perimeter for example. You’ll also need to use a purge block. Make sure you select the option to use a purge block for each of extruders to start off with. Yes its a massive waste, but remember you need to get a simple print working before approaching a Multi object print such as the wheel / hub example you sent earlier.

Once you’ve got that happening and maybe played with the size of the purge blocks, you’re ready to move onto multi object printing. This is where Simplify3D shows off its incredibly crap and confusing interface.

For this you will need 2 extruder profiles (bottom left of the screen in S3D) Make a duplicate of the main profile you just got working and ensure you include the scripts section (double check). Double click the first profile (bottom left), click select models and select only the hub from the list. Close that “select models” window. Next Ensure you have selected that you want all features, infill, perimeter, purge block etc to be printed with nozzle 1. Close that profile. Repeat this process, this time double clicking on the second copied profile, click select models, this time select the wheel from the list, close the list, then ensure all features, infill perimeter etc are to use the second “hotend”. Again, under both profiles, make sure you select that

you want to use a purge block.

The end result should be basically 4 objects, 1 wheel, 1 hub and 2 purge blocks.

If the size of your purge blocks becomes too disheartening. Very shortly, we will have you covered. Check our Instagram profile @Cultivate.3d for some images of a very soon to be released upgrade for all Cultivate3D printers allowing for multimaterial printing without compromise. I guess it’s difficult to explain unless you’ve used both a 1 nozzle 2 extruder system AND a 2 nozzle 2 extruder system. Suffice to say they both have major downsides. 2/1 its the purge block. 2/2 its the crap from out of use hotend oozing all over your print and making a mess which often ruins your print entirely. Our new MM system removes these downsides.

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

I am looking forward to your new multi material head!! Any idea when we can upgrade?

dandan
    Participant

We’re hoping for Q1 2020.

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

any eta on the Medusa head upgrade?

dandan
    Participant

Finalising the Production of the current round of pre orders right now. Hoping for late Feb delivery . Once delivered, need to document the system with Rumba boards, a few cosmetic changes as well. Hopefully early April at this stage for early adopters. Also keen to implement a closed loop x and y system for Rumba (v1 and 2 owners) although with Medusa, not sure if we’ll have enough free pins.

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

[attachment=0]IMG-1163.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]IMG-1162.jpg[/attachment]

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

I got a lot of stringing while switching between materials, the retraction was set at 1mm. I’ve upped the retraction to 3mm in hope of stopping the stringing….is that the right strategy? Other than that I’m happy I finally got multi material working and a round wheel!

dandan
    Participant

Increasing retraction will help, however i feel for you it may be time to start reading up on linear advance. With that enabled and more importantly tuned, you’ll find 1mm retraction more than enough. You’ll need to enable the feature in the firmware first, the print some calibration patterns, then reflect the changes in your firmware. A simple google is a good place to start. https://www.google.com.au/search?client=safari&hl=en-au&ei=4FRZXvKXJYGGmgejhqvIBw&q=repetier+firmware+linear+advance&oq=repetier+linear+advance&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.1.0.0i7i30j0.2350.5476..8618…0.1..0.339.3397.0j4j8j2……0….1………0i71j0i13j0i67j0i8i7i30.fQv-QoSSpf0 Let me know if you have any questions. FYI most of what you read about Marlins Linear advance can be directly translated to Repetier with the exceptions that in my experiments Marlin 1.5+ uses a functional range of 0.1 to 2.0 and Repetier 0-200 (More like Marlin 1.0). Also Repetier uses “M233 Y” where as Marlin “M900 K”

dandan
    Participant

Oh and by the way, ignore what you read about it not working on Bowden systems. It works perfectly well on Bowden systems. Especially if you have Red or Blue high tolerance Bowden tubes.

Nev Bullnevbull
    Participant

Phongshader – can you PM me please – I’ve got a couple of questions for you

Thanks

Nev.

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

If I use the Marlin K-factor Calibration Pattern gcode I would

replace this

M900 K1 ; set K-factor

M117 K1 ;

with this

M233 Y1 ; set K-factor

M117 Y1 ; for Repetier?

dandan
    Participant

Correct. Just open the gcode in Notepad++ and do a search and replace for “M900 K” and replace with “M233 Y”

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

Back to multi material setup. I’ve been able to get prints that don’t string with a retraction around 3.5mm. However when I do a multi material print I get stringing between the purge block and the part. To get rid of that stringing I have to up the retraction to 12mm. Is there a way to setup S3D to only retract 12mm between the purge block and the part? There is a tool change retraction setting under Other in Process in S3D, 36mm retraction, but that is for actual filament change. There is no tool/filament change going from the purge block to the part.

Also when I print multi material on the 1st tool change the 2nd material never gets primed, that is when the 1st filament is changed the 2nd filament is 36mm away from the nozzle when it starts printing and I have to manually push the filament 36mm so that it extrudes to the purge block. Every tool change after that works as it should.

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

I did find this on the S3D forums https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=6339 that addresses the 1st tool change issue but I don’t know how that will interact with the tool change retraction settings

Code:

G92 E0
    G1 E-[toolchange_retract_distance] F[toolchange_retract_speed] ; retract previous tool
    T[new_tool] ; switch to new tool and offsets
    G1 X[next_position_x] Y[next_position_y] F[travel_speed] ; move to next printing location
    G92 E0
    G1 E[toolchange_prime_distance] F1800 ; prime new tool
    G92 E0

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Facebook Instagram YouTube