fbpx

linear advance

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

I’m staring down this road and feeling a bit lost…but this is what I’ve learned.

edit your configuration.h file to this “#define USE_ADVANCE 1”

download a test gcode file here https://marlinfw.org/tools/lin_advance/k-factor.html.

the scale is 0-200 for repetier not 0-2 as is in Marlin firmware, so your starting K value will still be 0 but your ending value will be 200

K factor stepping should be 20, not .2 for the first iteration, adjust as you narrow down your selection

the generated gcode has to have all the M900 K text replaced with M233 Y

These are the iterations that I came up with…not so easy to pick a good line…they all look terrible, still some better than others.
    [attachment=2]IMG_1165.jpg[/attachment]
    [attachment=1]IMG_1166.jpg[/attachment]
    [attachment=0]IMG_1167.jpg[/attachment]
    If my methodology is incorrect please chime in, or if you have some sage advice, would you have picked a different group of lines?

dandan
    Participant

None of them, its clearly not working. Did you adjust your E- jerk and acceleration AFTER M502 and M500?

As promised, this *should* work. Ive tested the printer mechanics thus far. Likely there”ll be other stuff to change. Ill do some more work on this tomorrow and post a github URL so you can track changes :

http://cultivate3d.com/pub/media/Marlin-bugfix-2.0.rar

If it wont compile, open your arduino preferences.txt file File>Preferences, then click the link down the bottom, open the preferences.txt file then and add anywhere on new line :

build-path=”c:temp”

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

I changed nothing in the jerk settings, I used the defaults in the marlin test file generator.

I’m unclear what I’m supposed to do with the Marlin firmware…I’m running Repetier firmware…should I switch?

dandan
    Participant

Sorry, didn’t realise we now have 2 threads discussing this. Please check my last reply in the other thread “Repetier 1.0.4 problems” where I asked to run M502 then M500 then adjust e acceleration and e jerk settings and explained I would issue a tested version of marlin with a much more up to date implementation of linear advance.

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

No worries, I just wanted to start a thread that was specific to linear advance so that it would be easier to find for new users such as myself. Here is a link to the above mentioned thread for those of you following along https://cultivate3d.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

You mentioned that the rumba board was a littles short on memory and the Marlin firmware is memory intensive…what board are you using with Marlin firmware?

dandan
    Participant

As per the firmware : Rumba. I’ve cut out many of the superfluous Marlin features which chew memory and it seems with the current configuration to have ample available. You’ll notice memory warnings on compilation when you start to enable more features – especially UBL bed leveling with high res grids. An ongoing issue with large printers, is that in order to get meaningful grid based bed leveling, they also need a large grid matrix to ensure the space between grid points is equivalent to that of printers with small beds. This results in a lot of memory usage which can cause stability issues.

The obvious solution is to switch to 32Bit Architecture. Sounds good on paper, but with my tests so far on ARM and DUE based processors, there’s always something major which doesnt work. 32 Bit firmware development is still in its infancy and there is a plethora of board specific issues. DUE boards, getting SD card AND LCD is an issue due to shared SPI. The ARM boards handle this better however they’re electronically more fragile – having fried about 5 stepper DIR pins so far with my tinkerings. Something which I never managed to do on Rumba boards no matter how hard I tried.

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

compiled on pc:

Build options changed, rebuilding all

sketchsrcHALHAL_AVRu8g_com_HAL_AVR_sw_spi.cpp:65:20: fatal error: U8glib.h: No such file or directory

compilation terminated.

exit status 1

Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.

compiled on Mac:

sketch/src/HAL/HAL_AVR/u8g_com_HAL_AVR_sw_spi.cpp:65:10: fatal error: U8glib.h: No such file or directory

#include

^~~~~~~~~~

compilation terminated.

exit status 1

Error compiling for board Arduino Mega or Mega 2560.

dandan
    Participant

Install the U8Glib Library. Tools > manage Libraries

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

That did it, thanks!

Nev Bullnevbull
    Participant

I changed to the Marlin firmware a couple of days ago – seen oddities in the Z axis homing. When the Z axis is homed – the display shows it at 10mm.

Also – the filament out sensor causes the print head to go to the back of the bed and perform a filament change procedure – unloading and then wanting to prime. I’ve disabled filament out in the FW for now – its probably just a FIL_RUNOUT_INVERTING change

Hope to play more today

dandan
    Participant

That filament out issue is likely that I need to invert the logic of the filament put sensor. My PC has died awaiting new motherboard so can’t work on the firmware for a few days.

Nev Bullnevbull
    Participant

HI Dan

do we need to change the stepper driver to 8825 in the firmware as that’s what we’re using?

Nev.

dandan
    Participant

Hmmm, No. by default they revert to standard motherboard microstepping which shouldn’t have changed with the new firmware. I don’t believe anyone understands why non SPI or uart controlled drivers such as drv8825 and 4988s can be defined In firmware.

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

I updated to the Marlin firmware today. I’m having issues with homing on the z axis, different than Nev. X and Y home as expected then Z goes through it’s routine…drops the pin, moves the bed, retracts pin, drops pin, retracts, then the bltouch just blinks, doesn’t zero out. Also I’m unable to connect to the printer with Repetier host, Simplify 3d, or Octoprint

Simplify 3d output, same for both cu.usbmodem14101 and cu.usbmodem14201:

Attempting connection at /dev/cu.usbmodem14201…

Testing plaintext communication protocol…

Testing binary communication protocol…

Testing alternate communication protocols…

READ: ¡nP|.Š+~9ŽJO.v«ˆJŒqO>|YL}HkmjmFñ^ëH&ˆHŠxñJCð^èjV³-“7·è5′]h.ø’

READ:

READ: á^ƒ;VwJO^ìk!7÷^ÿj-ægJ‚%èÁMH’

READ: „{È}áM`ñYP|]>X;·H.l‹p|4]êFñJ„J€(OP|MP| “HHvf±JˆJèˆJhˆáHÛ8[î

READ: gZ$^(/^Ì]ù$P|

READ: þJŽJÿJŽJ%ˆ8HJ<0é+^h}ùFñJÄZä%HJä%HJæ%ŽJÿˆIFñZ

READ: „J„I¨jNˆXñz€bM=FñJÄJ‚xñZ_ñM’&;^±J¤{‚%M|°`äj-H*’z

READ: ‘zN|F]L$|ø~Jˆ8/*Nˆx±Z$=&@_a±J¤J€Ž*%È%ŒXñZ”]+h6H}L]ñJÄZ€(ŽJ%Ž*’JÄZ (Ž

READ: %Ž

READ: ‘[email protected]}ñ=V“P<ˆj'z]+H}O!y Connection failed.

I’m sorry if I’m missing something obvious.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Facebook Instagram YouTube