fbpx

Layer Shifts / Multi Material 50% Under Extrusion

Forums The Beast V1, V2 and Elevator 3D Printer Support Layer Shifts / Multi Material 50% Under Extrusion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    mr.smr.s

Here is the 20 mm cube and the jumpers setup

dandan
    Participant

Getting somewhere. Whats your ext0 and ext1 steps per mm (Repetier host > Tools -Firmware Eeprom configuration) ?

That picture of the test cube isnt clear. Was the heatbed on during that print?

mr.smr.s

Extr1 and 2 are 417.500 steps/mm

That picture is the best I could do, but it doesn’t do it justice. I’d be glad if all my prints came out with that detail.

The bed was heated, however I am having a hard time making the first layer stick with this model.

I should probably slow down the speed. But I thought that for overall print quality I didn’t need to look too much into it.

With my bigger prints I have no problem with fist layer adhesion.

dandan
    Participant

You will continue to have a hard time getting that first layer to stick until your extruder is doing what the software thinks it should be doing. Adjust your steps per mm for EXT 0 and 1 to 835 and run that extrusion calibration test again. Please report the exact amount of filament extruded.

mr.smr.s

Will do, but what about the layer shifts? That’s my main concern. Can they be caused by this extruder problem?

Also, if I double the steps per mm, I will extrude double the material, which will probably cause over-exteusion. Should I change the extrusion multiplier from 1 to 0.5, or make some other changes to account for this increase in extruder output?

dandan
    Participant

We can’t figure out the layer shifts until we’ve got your extruder doing what it should. Let me know if changing to 835 fixed the issue. Then we’ll move back to your later shift issue.

On layer shifts : Did you read that post on setting vref?

Dan

mr.smr.s

Yes. Just redid the procedure on all axis again (I had already done that before).

For the extruder it seems more complicated, but I’ll get that done too.

So do I change the extruder multiplier setting or leave it as is?

dandan
    Participant

Extruder multiplier should be 1.0 . Based on the length you measured earlier, 835 should be your steps per mm. Now extrude 100mm, measure and tell me how much actually came out of the tube.

mr.smr.s

OK. All drivers are calibrated and correct amount of filament is coming out.

Now what?

dandan
    Participant

Ok, so your test cube pictures were almost useless. I couldnt see what was going on with the surfaces due to the transperant filament, bad angle and fuzzy photography.

Could you please turn OFF your heated bed and print another, this time I need to see a nice clear side on angle. If you need to use the heated bed. Do you have an AC motor speed controller yet? You should be able to make standard PLA stick to a cold bed with hair spray, kapton tape, blue painters tape etc. If you must and you dont have an AC motor speed controller for your heated bed, turn off the bed after the first few layers.

mr.smr.s

I do have an AC motor speed controller which I use to set the bed at around 65-70 deg. Seems to work well for this material and the Nano Polymer adhesive. If I turn it off before the print is done I incur the risk of the part detaching from the bed.

So I printed a test cube with heated bed.The result was severely over-extruded.

I took the multiplier down to 0.5 and it’s much better. Maybe still a little over-extruded on the edges as I was coming from 0.95 before doubling the extruder steps per mm. I might try to go down to 0.48, or command the fan at 100% from the second layer on, or a combination of the two.

dandan
    Participant

Im almost certain your layer shifts are due to this issue. We need to get it rectified.

Here’s whats weird :

1)Your extruder steps per mm should be around 417.5 to extruder the correct amount of filament – yours is twice that. (I still havent seen the photo from under YOUR extruder stepper drivers – just the snip of the manual you posted.

2)When you go to print, magically the print by the sounds of it trys to extrude more – sounds like someone has compensated in their slicer profile and not set it back to 1.0

Here’s what I need. PLEASE do this. :

Preheat your hotend :

Remove the bowden tube from hotend

Use the LCD to extrude 100mm and PLEASE tell me what it measures (exactly).

Also – should have checked before, but can you please verify all GT2 pulleys connected to the motor shafts are not slipping? If so tighten grub screws.

This problem i have no doubt is ridiculously simple – the trouble is Im not there to see whats going on so its really important that you answer all questions and with things like failed prints, please post a picture -doing so will really help me to help you.

dandan
    Participant

Also. Please move your bed down 100mm with the LCD and measure with a RULER to see if it actually traveled that far. Maybe a good idea to do that with your other Axes too. Please report the distances input and traveled of each.

mr.smr.s

dan wrote:

Use the LCD to extrude 100mm and PLEASE tell me what it measures (exactly).

I did the test through USB yesterday. I took the bowden tube out altogether to take that variable out of the equation and measured directly from the extruder hole. Exactly 100mm now, after going to 835 steps per mm, which apparently is not supposed to be the correct setting.

But I get over-extrusion at 835 steps per mm and extrusion multiplier = 1. I have to halve the extrusion multiplier to get back to a decent quality print, so my printer appears to be extruding the correct amount of filament for the print when it extrudes only 50 mm as a result of your test. I’m not sure what the reason might be for that.

dan wrote:

Also – should have checked before, but can you please verify all GT2 pulleys connected to the motor shafts are not slipping? If so tighten grub screws.

Checked that too. All tight.

dan wrote:

Also. Please move your bed down 100mm with the LCD and measure with a RULER to see if it actually traveled that far. Maybe a good idea to do that with your other Axes too. Please report the distances input and traveled of each.

All axes moved exactly 100mm

mr.smr.s

Here is a pic of the drivers.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Facebook Instagram YouTube