fbpx

Frustation…issues…

Forums The Beast V1, V2 and Elevator 3D Printer Support Frustation…issues…

• This topic has 46 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 months ago by cultivate3dDan.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

To test I switched the X axis to E2 and so far there’s been no skipping. So the X channel on the board is not functioning as it should. What would cause a channel to fail on the board? I started the 130hr print so we’ll see if the E2 channel fails 20hrs in.

cultivate3dDan
    Keymaster

I’m not so sure yet. I couldn’t quiet interpret or locate any skipping in that image you sent, possibly because I’m not familiar with your model. Can you please email me the gcode so I can familiarise myself? Those deviations don’t look like skipping. Skipping steps don’t recover themselves, those slight deviations appear to recover, indication another issue.

Did you move the X stepper driver to e2? What driver? What microstepping? Changed or same vref?

In my experience, when a pin dies, it’s dead and goes into a floating state, never high or low enough to function at all. With motor pins, this means in most cases I’ve encountered, the direction pin takes the hit, causing the motor to only work in one direction.

Your issue is different. The motor is clearly functioning well most of the time. If what I can see is true, and this isn’t in fact skipping rather a deviation from the path intended, this would indicate either one of the following is true:
    1) Belts loose or slop in hotend assembly
    2) rails dirty with debris
    3) spurious noise interfering with motor direction (this ones a long shot).
    4)uneven bed surface causing deviation. Left to continue, I Wonder if that deviation would continue up the wall of the print?
    5)No chance these deviations are caused from inconsistent filament diameter or debris inside extruder hobbed gear?

cultivate3dDan
    Keymaster

Oh, any chance Linear advance is turned on? This is an organic shape. Meaning lots and lots of commands in the planner queue. Already overloaded due to its shape, LA can make things worse. It can become further overloaded. Noticing any short pauses or jittery printing as the brim is printed?

What slicer?

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by cultivate3dDan.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by cultivate3dDan.
    phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

LA is not enabled. The last picture I posted all the extrusions should be connected there should be no space between the extrusions. I would send you the gcode but it’s 94mb.

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

here’s the current print 3hrs in

cultivate3dDan
    Keymaster

Stick it in google drive.

LA doesn’t have to be enabled for the planner queue to become overloaded especially with organic shapes.

Those gaps between the lines are just initial layer height issues. Looks a little too high or slop in whatever axis the gaps appear. Check the belt tension, wheels, Grub screws on GT2 pulleys etc etc. Consider baby stepping to get the perfectly squished first layer.

cultivate3dDan
    Keymaster

No need to send the gcode. I can see what’s supposed to be happening from that picture.

Dan

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

I ran through all the belts, checked to see if there were any sticking points and it was all taught and smooth. The only “skipping” was happening on the x axis and moving it to E2 seems to have fixed…fro the time being…

cultivate3dDan
    Keymaster

From the look of the image you sent, I can see no skipping at all. Skipping isn’t something which recovers. Once skipped, the axis is permanently shifted.

Don’t forget to check all the other points of potential slop.

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

Well I’m getting ready to bin the BTT GTR board and see if I can get the DFU mode on the rumba32 board addressed. Aside from the DFU mode the Rumba32 board has been solid the GTR has never worked for any long period of time. Seems like it’s good for about 20-24 hrs before it starts skipping.

Attachments:
    phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

Well I’m getting ready to bin the BTT GTR board and see if I can get the DFU mode on the rumba32 board addressed. Aside from the DFU mode the Rumba32 board has been solid the GTR has never worked for any long period of time. Seems like it’s good for about 20-24 hrs before it starts skipping…and to make it more confusing it’s only the x axis that skips. Could it be the motor? Swapping the outputs fixed it temporarily but, as you can see, the skipping returns and seems to get worse as time goes on. I’m about 56hrs in with another 48 to go…not looking good 🙁

Attachments:
    cultivate3dDan
    Keymaster

Blaming the board? We’ll thats not an assumption I would ever arrive at, certainly not with your fault description. but… if it makes sense to you>?

I would literally never blame the board for skipping steps. Is such a unusual assumption to arrive at.

Have you looked into the possibility this could be a motor under or over power issue? How hot are your motors getting? Are they running cold? What is your vref set to for each axis? Tried increasing (if motors cold or decreasing if motors hot?

Any chance that object is warping?

Considered possible bed movement? Double sided tape on the bed mounts perhaps?

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by cultivate3dDan.
    phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

you’re probably right although I didn’t have this problem before I switched boards just other problems that were not print related. The motors are warm, not hot and the x axis is about the same temp as the y axis, the drivers are cool. I thought that the 1st skip could’ve been the head hitting the print but the next 2 skips seemed unlikely to be collisions. I don’t know man…I just want to get this project done but I just can’t get it finished.

cultivate3dDan
    Keymaster

Much easier to increase vref than it is to change a board. I’d be giving that a go 1st.

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

The only point that makes me question the boards fitness is the apparent failure of the x channel on the board. That is the skipping started on the x axis board port and got worse, I changed the from the TMC5160 to DRV8825 driver and that made no difference in the skipping, so it’s not the drivers. However when I changed the pin assignment to move the X axis to the E2 board port that seemed to fix the issue…for the moment. I’m willing to concede that the skips in the above print may not be a board issue but the symptoms are similar if not the same. The only way to really test is to swap back in the Rumba32 board and see if the issue persists.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Facebook Instagram YouTube