fbpx

Frustation…issues…

Forums The Beast V1, V2 and Elevator 3D Printer Support Frustation…issues…

• This topic has 46 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 months ago by cultivate3dDan.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

12v 40w

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

To add to my frustration…I finally got the heater issues under control then this happens…

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by phongshaderphongshader.
    Attachments:
    phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

The print fails after 20hrs in and it starts to miss steps all of the sudden, not hitting anything, nothing blocking the head. I started to reprint and it starts missing steps an hour in. Every time I try to reprint it fails at almost the exact same spot, 1hr into the print…I’ve tried 4 times with adjustments to the firmware. I tried setting the steppers to spreadcycle only, that made no difference. I haven’t tried to replace the driver yet, I have a spare TMC5160

cultivate3dDan
    Keymaster

Any chance your model is warping, thus causing the nozzle to catch? that does look like a very warpy model. Especially with so much infill and surface area. Z lift may help? I think i’ve mentioned my distaste for TMC drivers before. They’re gutless in comparison to good ol’ DRV8825s.

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

If you look at the 2nd pic I posted you’ll see how the printer is skipping steps on the x axis on the 1st layer, nothing to catch on at that point… and this only started happening after the failure of the 1st print I posted. The drivers have been rock solid since I installed them, I’ve only had this issue since I switched to the BTT GTR board. With the Rumba32 board I was printing 76 hr prints with no driver issues that’s why it’s a little frustrating to have this problem pop up now…if it’s not one thing it’s another ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

first layer missing steps

cultivate3dDan
    Keymaster

For what it’s worth, I changed back from TMC drivers after killing too many of them. My experience was similar to yours. Working perfectly until one day – skip city.

at 32x microstepping with 8825’s, you’ll find considerably more torque than that of a TMC driver at 64x +. Testing with gradual walled objects such as a vertically stretched pyramid, I was unable to tell the difference beyond 32x microstepping. For reasons of reliability alone, we decided to stick exclusively with 8825s for our new Elevator model.

Anecodally, I have a feeling that TMC drivers’ fragility is exposed when bad repeated skipping occurs – it appears to kill the driver.

Firmware and motherboard isn’t likely to cause skipping. In my experience, skipping occurs because of insufficient power, loose motor connections or dead driver. I’d not have advised changing boards to address this specific issue.

How did you rectify the heater issue? replace the heater cart?

cultivate3dDan
    Keymaster

For what it’s worth, I changed back from TMC drivers after killing too many of them. My experience was similar to yours. Working perfectly until one day – skip city.

at 32x microstepping with 8825’s, you’ll find considerably more torque than that of a TMC driver at 64x +. Testing with gradual walled objects such as a vertically stretched pyramid, I was unable to tell the difference beyond 32x microstepping. For reasons of reliability alone, we decided to stick exclusively with 8825s for our new Elevator model.

Anecodally, I have a feeling that TMC drivers’ fragility is exposed when bad repeated skipping occurs – it appears to kill the driver.

Firmware and motherboard isn’t likely to cause skipping. In my experience, skipping occurs because of insufficient power, loose motor connections or dead driver. I’d not have advised changing boards to address this specific issue.

How did you rectify the heater issue? replace the heater cart?

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

I’ll be switching back this weekend. Meanwhile I had an epic fail yesterday…

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

I had to keep the heater on so I could pull the heater block out of the blob.

Attachments:
    cultivate3dDan
    Keymaster

With blue tape as an plate adhesive, I find periodic sanding of the surface keeps your prints sticking well to the tape.

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

This may be a moment where you decide I’m not fit to run a 3D printer…I was looking at the pinout of the stepper drivers, Rumba vs GTR and it looks like they are different. Rumba is, from the top left corner of the board, 1B 1A 2B 2A. The GTR is, from the top left corner of the board, 1B 2B 2A 1A. Looking at your instructions for the Beast V2 the wiring for the steppers to the Rumba should be blk(1B), grn(1A), red(2A), blu(2B). Now I just plugged the stepper wires into the GTR board the same way as they were on the Rumba/Rumba32 but it looks like it should be blk(1B), blu(2B), grn(1A), red(2A). This certainly seems like this would cause the skipping of steps…am I correct?

cultivate3dDan
    Keymaster

I could be wrong, but pretty certain it doesn’t matter, as long as you have pairs of black blue, green and red. Ie blue black red green should work the same as red green blue black.

phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

Well…it doesn’t appear to be a driver problem. The print skips in the same way whether using the TMC5160s or DRV8825s. The skipping only happens in the x axis and there are some artifacts in the print that are not in the gcode. The attached image was printed with the DRV8825 drivers.

Attachments:
    phongshaderphongshader
    Participant

The skipping, if that’s what this is, started 20 hrs into a 130 hr print. Before that the print was flawless. I will go through and double check the stepper connections. Failing to find any issues there is it possible that the x axis is borked on this board?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Facebook Instagram YouTube