fbpx

Computer not recognising the printer via usb

Forums The Beast V1, V2 and Elevator 3D Printer Support Computer not recognising the printer via usb

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    numark42numark42

Hi there,

I hope all in well and you have had a good Xmas. I have recently purchased the beast v1 used and I am having a few problem setting it up. I am unable to see the the printer when plugging in the USB. The LCD just glows blue with no functionality. I have read a lot of the forums but no joy.

I suspect the rumba board has failed. I am wondering if you could point me in the right direction for a replacement? Either a direct replacement or a recommended upgrade? I am a mac user.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards and have an amazing 2020!

Thomas

dandan
    Participant

So it is possible your USB connector is broken, you need to replace the cable (very common) or depending on how erroneously it was wired up, there is a chance the Mega 16U2 chip is fried.

Let’s figure out first what the computer is seeing: can you please connect the board to your computer and tell me what (if anything) appears in your computers device manager under the ports sub menu? Or are you using a Mac?

numark42numark42

Yes I am using a Mac, I have connected the usb to the make Mac and there is no indication of anything happening as far as im aware of. In Arduino no port shows up either.

Ok first step i will find another usb cable.

Thanks

dandan
    Participant

Originally the printer will have come with a relatively short blue cable. These IMO work very reliably. If however you have a generic cable which looks like it was scraped from the bottom of an old cable box, I’d definitely look there first. Number 1 cause of no connection to a computer is cable issues. If looking for a new cable, find one that’s relatively short and fat indicating minimal loss of power and signal over the length of the cable.

numark42numark42

No blue usb cable unfortunately.

I have tried another cable and no luck.

Both cables do power the board and screen when the jumper is placed to usb. Just the board does not show and the screen is back lit only, with no function.

I will use the new cable.

Do you think the Mega 16U2 chip is fried?

Thanks

dandan
    Participant

Still not convinced. Especially if the board lights up. Our V1 units, the customer had to load the firmware , IE it wasnt pre loaded like it is the V2. This means a blank screen is normal.

Show me the cables you’ve tried.

I can only diagnose for certain a Mega 16U2 if you can connect it to a PC. The dreaded “USB device malfunctioned” error will appear when this is the case. For the moment, im still thinking cable.

numark42numark42

[attachment=1]20191229_170223_compress23.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]20191229_165234_compress15.jpg[/attachment]

Ok, I will source out a PC

Thanks

dandan
    Participant

Those cables look like they could be a problem. They should be short blue and fat. It seems USB cables aren’t all equal. I’ll send a pic when I get to work. You really shouldn’t need a laptop.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Facebook Instagram YouTube